Our D.I.Y Garage door service guide!
One of the most overlooked items is the garage door. In a recent study, 50% of respondents stated they have never maintained their door. Like every other mechanical device — your garage door needs to be maintained. Just as it’s common to have your car checked annually, it’s wise to have your door checked by a qualified technician. The experts remind homeowners to use caution when working on or near garage doors. Ensure that children understand that garage doors and openers are not toys. Homeowners can avoid expensive repairs by performing an annual inspection and service of their garage door by following these simple steps:
1. Clean the outside of the door with a detergent, sponge and water. Rinse with a garden hose as if it was a car.
2. Check for broken or loose rollers, frayed cables and rusted bottom brackets and replace as necessary.
3. Tighten any loose nuts or bolts on the tracks or hinges. Any bolts or nuts that are red or have warning tags should not be tightened or loosened. Only a garage door technician should adjust them.
4. Check the door’s balance, with door in closed position, disengage the opener by pulling the release cord and raise the door to waist level and then let it go carefully. If it lowers or rises, it is out of balance and needs maintenance.
6. With the door in closed position, clean photo eyes (if you have them) with a soft, dry cloth. Gently adjust photo eyes if they are out of alignment. With the door open, push wall button to close door. Wave a long object, such as a broomstick, in front of one of the photo eyes so it “breaks the beam.” If the door does not reverse, it should be serviced immediately.
7. Lubricate all moving parts with a silicone lubricant spray, never use grease or WD40.
With proper maintenance, your garage door will serve you faithfully for years to come!
Alternatively if you’d prefer to have it all done professionally, we all provide service to the Newcastle region and offer same day as well as after hours options. Call us now on 0421477462 to book in your $99 service/repair.
Wilsons Garage Doors